BacterioFiles 336 – Phages Fortify Friendly Fighters
This episode: Phage therapy can work very well when combined with an effective immune response from the host!
Download Episode (12.9 MB, 14.1 minutes) Show notes: Microbe of the episode: Gammapapillomavirus 8 News item about “nightmare bacteria” Journal Paper: Roach DR, Leung CY, Henry M, Morello E, Singh D, Di Santo JP, Weitz JS, Debarbieux L. 2017. Synergy between the Host Immune System and Bacteriophage Is Essential for Successful Phage Therapy against an Acute Respiratory Pathogen. Cell Host Microbe 22:38-47.e4.
Other interesting stories:
- Bacteria make antibacterial silver nanoparticles (paper)
- Bacteria produce chemical that could enhance effectiveness of penicillin
- Engineering yeast to produce valuable complex chemicals
- Specific types of gut microbes affect cancer treatment effectiveness
- Microbe-produced enzymes could help clean oil spills
Email questions or comments to bacteriofiles at gmail dot com. Thanks for listening!