BacterioFiles 335 – Purported Paraprobiotic Potential
This episode: Paraprobiotics, or killed probiotic bacteria, are studied for health effects, but results and study design are questionable!
Download Episode (11.5 MB, 12.6 minutes) Show notes: Microbe of the episode: Phlox virus S Journal Paper: Nishida K, Sawada D, Kawai T, Kuwano Y, Fujiwara S, Rokutan K. 2017. Para-psychobiotic Lactobacillus gasseri CP2305 ameliorates stress-related symptoms and sleep quality. J Appl Microbiol 123:1561–1570.
Other interesting stories:
- Parasites infecting ants hide their presence
- Inoculating soybean crops with extra bacteria can help them fix more nitrogen
- Microbes help mice recover from bone marrow transplant (paper)
- Lots of drugs other than antibiotics can harm gut communities (paper)
- Using biofilm as camera film, for imaging
Email questions or comments to bacteriofiles at gmail dot com. Thanks for listening!