BacterioFiles 338 – Maverick Mouse Microbes Mitigate Maladies
This episode: Gut microbe transplants from wild mice protect lab mice from disease!
Download Episode (9.8 MB, 10.7 minutes) Show notes: Microbe of the episode: Cabassou virus News item Journal Paper: Rosshart SP, Vassallo BG, Angeletti D, Hutchinson DS, Morgan AP, Takeda K, Hickman HD, McCulloch JA, Badger JH, Ajami NJ, Trinchieri G, Pardo-Manuel de Villena F, Yewdell JW, Rehermann B. 2017. Wild Mouse Gut Microbiota Promotes Host Fitness and Improves Disease Resistance. Cell 171:1015-1028.e13.
Other interesting stories:
- Phage cocktail can eliminate pathogen with minimal collateral damage
- Preventive probiotics given with antibiotics can help keep C. diff away
- Early exposure to dust and bacteria linked with less immune response to stress
- Viruses that help wasps parasitize caterpillars also inhibit plant defenses
- Only one microbe species can live in extremely acidic, almost boiling lake
Email questions or comments to bacteriofiles at gmail dot com. Thanks for listening!