BacterioFiles 339 – Medical Microbiota Measurement
This episode: Fecal microbiota transplants work just as well when taken in pill form as when delivered through a tube!
Download Episode (10.5 MB, 11.5 minutes) Show notes: Microbe of the episode: Halobacterium halobium News item Journal Paper: Kao D, Roach B, Silva M, Beck P, Rioux K, Kaplan GG, Chang H-J, Coward S, Goodman KJ, Xu H, Madsen K, Mason A, Wong GK-S, Jovel J, Patterson J, Louie T. 2017. Effect of Oral Capsule- vs Colonoscopy-Delivered Fecal Microbiota Transplantation on Recurrent Clostridium difficile Infection: A Randomized Clinical Trial. J Am Med Assoc 318:1985–1993.
Other interesting stories:
- Protein that can form prions important for protecting mice from influenza (paper)
- Figuring out how bacteria in fruit flies kill only males
- Healthy skin microbes could help treat eczema
- Good gut microbe is very comfortable with immune system
- Archaea in bogs could be good microbes for plants too (paper)
Email questions or comments to bacteriofiles at gmail dot com. Thanks for listening!