Top Reasons for Hair Loss
Hair loss is normal. Everyday the human body sheds hair as part of the natural hair growth process. 80% of your hair at any given time is in its growth cycle while the other 20% is in its resting cycle. In addition, during this time, it is normal to see 100 or so hairs lost each and every day. It only becomes a problem when the hair loss is higher and the hair that is replacing it is coming in either at a slower rate or not at all. This is when you will start to see the hair thinning or receding hairlines.
There are several reasons why someone would experience excess hair loss:
1. Heredity – Male pattern baldness affects about 25% of males by the time they reach the age of 30. The primary cause is genetic, although there is another culprit also and that is testosterone. This is converted by the body into DHT (dihydrotestosterone), this will stop or slow down the growth of hair. Another side effect of this is that the hair may be thinner or shorter.
2. Alopecia Areata – This can be seen in both males and females. It is defined by a rapid loss of hair in patches. The cause of which is usually due to an autoimmune disorder. In alopecia totalis all of the hair on the scalp is lost, and in some cases alopecia universalis may occur where all the hair on the body is lost.
3. You may find that after an illness, large clumps of hair may fall; this is only a temporary condition.
4. Certain skin diseases can affect the health of the scalp. Some of these include seborrheic dermatitis or dandruff, scalp fungus, psoriasis.
Some other cause may include age, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, childbirth and menopause.
Source by Jason L Smith